Public donations raised for Nigerian actor Ikechukwu Nweke’s cancer treatment have reached N13 million, actress Destiny Etiko announced on Sunday.
Etiko, who has been coordinating the fundraising campaign, disclosed the amount in a post shared on Instagram.
She thanked Nigerians who had donated to the campaign and those who helped circulate the actor’s appeal across social media.
According to the actress, the response from the public has strengthened Nweke’s hope as he continues his battle with colon cancer.
“Thirteen million realised so far for Ike’s treatment. Thank you so much, Nigerians. This is really overwhelming for us,” she wrote.
Etiko also expressed appreciation to everyone who contributed money or reposted the fundraising appeal.
She said Nweke was grateful for the support and remained hopeful about overcoming the illness.
The actress urged members of the public who had not yet donated to support the campaign, noting that more funds were still required for the next phase of his treatment.
“We are almost there. For those who haven’t contributed, let’s help save a soul,” she added.
Why Nweke Still Needs Financial Support
The fundraising campaign was launched after Nweke publicly disclosed that he was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2025.
The actor said he had exhausted much of his personal savings while paying for surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
According to him, more than N15 million had already been spent on his treatment with assistance from family members, friends and colleagues.
However, he said additional financial support was needed to continue treatment and cover the cost of the next phase of his medical care.
Colon cancer develops in the colon, which forms part of the large intestine. Treatment may involve surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy or a combination of procedures, depending on the stage of the disease and the patient’s condition.
Etiko said the donations received so far had given Nweke renewed encouragement as he continued treatment.
She also appealed to Nigerians to keep supporting the campaign through donations and by sharing the appeal with others.
The fundraising effort comes shortly after another actress, Cynthia Anijekwu, received more than N13 million in public donations following an appeal for help with her cancer treatment.
Anijekwu said she was first diagnosed with cancer in 2023 and underwent treatment before the disease returned and spread to other parts of her body.
The two campaigns have again drawn attention to the high cost of cancer treatment and the financial pressure faced by patients and their families in Nigeria.
